www-community mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:16:03 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> I'm curious - are those rules invented as we go ?

no.  just because someone isn't aware of something doesn't mean
it doesn't exist or apply.  it's very very clear: the software
belongs to the asf.  the board is responsible for the proper
operation of the foundation.  the board delegates areas of
responsibility to pmc chairs, and provides them the corresponding
authority by appointing them officers of the foundation.

is there some part of that which *isn't* clear?

> I would feel much better if you did - and decided to not tell
> the rest of us for whatever reasons. Because if you didn't - I
> think ASF has a very serious problem.

and what problem would that be?

> Is there any process to distinguish or find the official rules ?
> Ken - can you point to the document where you found this particular
> rule?

section 6.3 of the foundation bylaws:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html

also the resolutions creating the projects/pmcs, such as
(for jakarta):
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_02_27.txt

  RESOLVED, that the Jakarta Project Management Committee be and
  hereby is responsible for the creation and maintenance of
  commercial-quality, open-source, server-side solutions for the Java
  Platform based on software licensed to the Foundation; and be it
  further

  RESOLVED, that the person holding the office of "Vice President,
  Jakarta" shall continue to serve at the direction of the Board of
  Directors as the chairman of the Jakarta Project Management
  Committee, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
  projects within the scope of responsibility of the Jakarta Project
  Management Committee