www-community mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: The Apache Jakarta Law (Scientific?)
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:02:45 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:

> So far it seems Stefano ( who is not currently a very active tomcat
> developer) is pissed off by the decisions made on tomcat-dev.
> I don't see too many tomcat developers flaming each other.

the tomcat developers are not all that matter, though.  users
matter (it sounds as though they're mostly happy, though -- of
course, according to the reports of tomcat developers <grin/>).
and other asf communities matter.

> In the end we have a far better community and a lot more tolerance
> and understanding.

again, that may be the case within the tomcat community.
it sounds as though there's some friction at the interface
between that community and other parts (and possibly the
whole) of the asf community.

all asf projects need to remember that they're part of the
asf and share the asf brand, and obviously should not do anything
that will damage that brand, and thereby negatively affect the
asf and the other communities within it.  the shared brand is
'apache', not 'jakarta', not 'soap', not 'httpd', not 'xml'.
for instance (and i'm not suggesting this has happened or
will happen), no project should do anything that will result in
a user saying, 'oh, i tried apache foo and it was so confused
and messed up and support was so bad that i'm not the least bit
interested in trying apache bar.'

we need to build 'better communities' and 'more tolerance'
inter-project as well as intra-project.