www-community mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:55:39 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:
>
> > I believe it was a mistake to allow two different
> > codebases to share the same name.
>
> I'm not convinced that "having two codebases" is
> necessarily a mistake.

it's not the multiple codebases that's the issue; it's
that they both had the same name and both continued
active development.

as a counterexample, both httpd 1.3 and 2.0 were in
concurrent active development for a long time.  1.3
development slowed down, and when 2.0 was finally
released, 1.3 went into a sort of maintenance mode --
meaning that bugfixes and minor backported features
can show up in it, but nothing that doesn't also
appear in 2.0 at the same time.

i'm not familiar with the data around the tomcat issue,
just the metadata, but i'm getting the feeling that
major divergent feature enhancement was occurring
in both branches.  (e.g., something might be added to
tomcat 3 that wasn't (and won't be) in tomcat 4).  is
that correct, or a misunderstanding on my part?