www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rules for Rule-making (Re: Rules for Revolutionaries)
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:18:43 GMT

>+1
>
>As Andy noted, this list is degenerating into "let's all sit around and
>Make Up Rules".  Anyone not 'participating' apparently loses their right
>to 'help shape the future of Apache'.
>
>So my participation consists of proposing the rule, "Rules should never
>be formulated beyond the immediate necessity".

+1

>In the case of Rules for Revolutionaries, it arose out of necessity, and
>is ambiguous because it doesn't try to deal with every situation.  Rather
>than try to nail down further specifics, why not let each project adapt
>the general idea to their situation?

+1 (where possible... Obviously the lawyers must be appeased)

>Then we can all get back to coding, instead of worrying that some
>busybodies on this list are hatching a top-down Apache Bureaucracy for us
>to live in.

+0  --  that is not the ONLY reason for being on this list.  That was A
reason for being on the REORG list but hopefully you're hear also to
build stronger cross-apache ties and get to know your fellow committers
and whats going on elsewhere for the good of creating a stronger community.

-andy