www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DOH! Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 02:38:19 GMT

>Actually, I quite enjoyed the reply :-).  And the cautions you raise are
>definitely relevant.

Well I meant every word of it....  I just meant to state
it...differently ;-)

>You can over-engineer anything, including a community.  But you can also
>under-engineer, and I get the impression that's sort of where we are right
>now.

The way you describe it sounds like this parable that was told at my
kid's cubscout meeting.  Where everyone
was having fun and doing cubscout things... then the trust was gone and
all these strict rules were given and no
one shared or helped each other and etc etc... till one day someone just
started doing the old things again and
it affected everyone and soon everyone was sharing and doing cubscout
things.

Coming from a corporate background, trust me.  "Engineering" communities
doesn't work.  Nor does regulation, and
beurocracy.  I promise to drive this point to death ;-)

Next year if anyone is interested in camping in the middle of the Dorton
Arena in Raleigh, you're invited -- its quite a touching
speech.  Theoretically our tent sleeps 6.

-Andy