www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 23:48:39 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> In my personal opinion they are just redundant :-)
>
> The rule that matter is that the community control the code and the name
> - a majority vote in the community can decide ultimately what happens.

Agreed. At the same time, I would love to see something written down
about 'how the ASF guidelines are'. They might not be binding, just
recommendations, but I think this will help a lot communities becaue
these guidelines are distilled after years of try/fail cycles (and lot
of pain!)

> This is a particular case ( again IMO ) of the "releases are majority
> votes and can't be vetoed".

Definately agree.

> A side effect of the 'revolution' rules is that a veto can be overriden
> - nobody can veto a revolution ( or a release ), and if you change
> the entire code base or a part of it you obviously can make changes that
> were vetoed.

Pier, Fede and I were talking about exactly this last night: I think the
committer that proposes an internal fork looses the right to veto a
release. Not to vote, but to veto. That's a very important distinction.

> There are few important consequences:
>
> 1. No person ( or group ) can control a codebase by using veto. It is
> quite easy to find technical reasons against anything.

Agreed.

> 2. It removes some personal conflicts. A veto or someone blocking an
> idea can be painful. It's a big difference between a majority voting
> against a particular idea and one person vetoing it.

Same here.

> 3. To take tomcat as an example - it allows diverging groups or opinions
> to find the common ground. And that's the really great part IMO.
>
> 4. Some good ideas that may otherwise be rejected can eventually
> live.

perfectly agree with you 100%.