www-community mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 16:01:58 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Duncan is the original author of both Tomcat 3.x and Ant. He became more
> and more involved into open source evangelization activity in Sun (where
> he worked at that time) and detached from the Ant development community.
>
> At some point, he came back, he didn't like some of the technical/design
> choices that were done and proposed his own. Since these changes were
> revolutionary, he wanted to use the rules for revolutionaries and start
> working on its own internal fork codenamed 'amber'.
>
> Dry story: he was told he had to re-earn committership in order to do
> that. He tried to fought that, but got pissed after slamming on some
> rubber walls and left, leaving a bad taste in many people's mouths. His
> own first.

I differ with that rendition, and believe that it is harmful to the
community for it to be propogated.

Duncan rejoined Ant and was immediately accepted as a committer.  He
started work on an internal fork named "AntEater".  This went on for a
short while, until another fork came along named "AntFarm".  At that
point, Duncan said "Whoa Bessie" and started to put forward a case that
he had a unique right to determine what codebase bore the Ant name.

This lead up to a PMC meeeting with Brian and Roy in attendance where it
was affirmed that the name of a project went with the expressed wishes
of a majority of commmitters to that project.  This has been the policy
that we have followed in Jakarta ever since.