www-community mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Common XML Project descriptor ( Re: Subtle barriers to entry )
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 00:03:25 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:
> Can someone summarize what's wrong with the gump descriptor used by
> all jakarta and xml projects ?
>
> I understand we may need to add more stuff ( maybe using some ns: ),
> but I don't quite understand why we need to change existing definitions.

If you look at the proposed DTD, apart from the root element, there is
basically nothing that the Gump descriptor cannot cope with.
It's the route we've taken with Forrest, and my proposal takes from that.

These are Gump project descriptors that already embed the proposed elements:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/xml-forrest/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-poi/module.xml?rev=HEAD&only_with_tag=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Also note that I've not included href attributes, as they are expanded
by default by Gump.

Since Maven has it's own descriptor, I initially thought it was better
not to start another Gump VS Maven format debate that I've already gone
through more than once on the Alexandria list and elswhere (if you want
the details see the archives).

But when I saw that Maven guys volunteered to make a plugin that outputs
the descriptor, I proposed the DTD which is plainly from the Forrest
extensions to Gump.

Probably it means that it's just easier for Maven to add the elements in
the Gump plugin?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -