www-community mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Common XML Project descriptor ( Re: Subtle barriers to entry )
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:40:14 GMT

Martin van den Bemt wrote:
> See inline ;)
>

>>_projectinfo.xml_
>>

>><?xml version="1.0"?>
>>
>><project id="myproject">
>>
>>    <site url="http://mysite.org/"
>>          hostname="mysite.org"
>>          remotedir="/home/groups/m/my/myproject/htdocs"/>
>>
>>    <vcs type="subversion"
>>         root="http://myvcs/"
>>         url="http://myvcs/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/"/>
>>
>>    <bugtrack url="http://myproject.org/mybugziulla/"/>
>>
>>    <mailing-lists>
>>         <mailing-list
>>              mail="project-dev@project.org"
>>              subscribe="project-dev-subscribe@project.org"
>>              user="developer">
>>
>>             <archives>
>>                 <archive name="one" url="http://etc1"/>
>>                 <archive name="two" url="http://etc2"/>
>>             </archives>
>>
>>         </mailing-list>
>>
>>    </mailing-lists>
>>
>>    <description abstract="My project is about this.">
>>      This is about my project in detail.
>>    </description>
>>
>>    <what>
>>         <goal>It will do this.</goal>
>>         <goal>It will do that.</goal>
>>    </what>
>

> </project>
> -- end here --
>

>>    <why>
>>        This project started because...
>>    </why>
>

> Nice for the project page itself.

Hmmm...

>>    <vendor>Apache Software Foundation - apache.org</vendor>
>>
>>    <licence legal="./legal">
>>              This software is released under the
>>              Apache Public License 1.1.
>>    </licence>
>

> Also vendor + license seems a bit obvious, or am I missing something (I
> assume incubator projects will adopt APL immidiately).

I intend to make this descriptor of more general use than in Apache only.

>>    <credits>
>>        <credit>This software includes software developed by...</credit>
>>    </credits>
>

> Also nice for the project page, not for a quick overview.
>
> Maybe it is a communication problem, so let me know if my assumption is
> wrong :
>
> We are talking about generating a centralized page (= not on the project
> webpage)  with the project information specified above, so that people that
> want a quick look what's out there or want to quickly find where mailinglist
> of project X is, can go to ?

Yes.

> If the answer to above is yes : cool and from a maven perspective the above
> is what can be offered, based on the maven project.xml, and I can write a
> maven plugin to generate that xml.
> If you had something different in mind, please explain ;)

What you propose is simply a subset of what I envision.

With the above descriptor, we can create both a centralized page with
the summaries for all projects *and* project summary pages.

Actually, I also started with the status.xml format also, to be able for
all to see what's going on easily in every project, in a *centralized*
way, regardless to which build-documentation system is used.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -