www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] Jakarta PMC bylaws change
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:16:25 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>

> >Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> >
> >>I fundamentally believe that the HTTP PMC model is flawed in
> >>its current form; and simply generates another 'layer' and a
> >>weird birthday cake.
> >
> >oh, ah?  reminds me of 'democracy is the worst system of government
> >-- excepting all the others'.  :-)
>

> My compliments; that is a very appropriate quote; and almost exactly
> captures what I tried to say.
>
> .. with one caveat; I believe we are getting some technology which allows
> us to do some slight debugging on this age old system; and get closer to
> the original/greek meaning of democracy.

uhhh, scary. Beware of those who think that technology can fix human
problems.

> >in short: if it ain't broke, why do you want to fix it?

Yeah, I thought the same.

> I do not want to 'fix' httpd, not in a hurry anyway :-) it is very small
> compared to the other PMCs and deals with very simple/small code bases.
> And for the HTTP crowd that sort of change may simply never be warranted.
>
> So - sorry for giving the wrong impression there.

well, stating 'the HTTPD PMC is flawed too' sounded pretty explicit to me.

Can you tell me what's wrong with a PMC which is almost silent, is
composed by committers and manages just one codebase? sounds like an
ideal situation for a PMC. I really can't see your point but please
explain it since I think it's *very* important since many of us want to
move their projects onto the HTTPD direction.

> It is the jakarta/xml ones which worry me; as they are so much bigger and
> deal with some much more code; a lot of which does not have a nice RFC or
> clear set of requirements to easily compare options or provide guidance.

Yes, many agree with you in this vision and I think Sam's proposal goes
in the direction of creating an evolutionary escape path or, at least, a
way to have spread the word about things for those who won't make it
here on community@.

Moreover, I don't think a PMC with a hundred of members will behave any
worse than a PMC with just a few of them.

I really don't think that it can be worse than we have today, so +1 from me.