www-community mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 23:37:32 GMT

On Thursday, Nov 7, 2002, at 07:33 US/Central, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> The idea of Duncan was to try to reduce those 'ego forces' by allowing
> *any* committer to propose an 'internal fork' where he could show off
> his/her ideas to the development community.

Well, and to reduce the ego forces in play at exactly the time at which
the document was written. My motivation at the time wasn't to find
something truly great, but to find an argument that would capture the
state of the art at the time as well as satisfying all parties and
letting us move forward with the task of getting on with Catalina and
Tomcat in parallel.

> So much, in fact, that Duncam himself doesn't believe anymore on them.
> But we'll come to that later.

I do and I don't. I don't dismiss them out of hand, and I think that
there have been successes. But in many cases, there hasn't been
consistent application. And even where there have been successes, there
hasn't been backbone in its application.

Most of all at the current moment I believe that open source is driven
by individuals who choose to come together or not depending on
situation. Group dynamics take away from the business of getting on
with code. By playing group games, we set into play a situation where
neither the software, nor (more importantly) the group of users of that
software are well served. RfR is somewhat a group politic ruleset.
Those are necessary in some cases, not in others.

But I'm still contemplating the past, present, my actions, and the
results of those actions. I'm sure that my opinions will change over
time. It's the only constant, no?

--
James Duncan Davidson
duncan@x180.net