www-community mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Rules for Rule-making (Re: Rules for Revolutionaries)
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:18:14 GMT
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:36:17PM -0800, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> >It would have solved *much* of the negative feelings that the tomcat
> >community was spreading around the ASF at that time.
>
> Not so, that would have been an example of how Apache should not work.
> Whatever we do is for fun and peer acknoledgement, not because some
> authority tells us what and how to do it.

+1

As Andy noted, this list is degenerating into "let's all sit around and
Make Up Rules".  Anyone not 'participating' apparently loses their right
to 'help shape the future of Apache'.

So my participation consists of proposing the rule, "Rules should never
be formulated beyond the immediate necessity".

In the case of Rules for Revolutionaries, it arose out of necessity, and
is ambiguous because it doesn't try to deal with every situation.  Rather
than try to nail down further specifics, why not let each project adapt
the general idea to their situation?

Then we can all get back to coding, instead of worrying that some
busybodies on this list are hatching a top-down Apache Bureaucracy for us
to live in.

--Jeff