www-community mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:39:55 GMT
On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 08:01, Sam Ruby wrote:

> I differ with that rendition, and believe that it is harmful to the
> community for it to be propogated.

I also differ with the rendition ( almost all of it ), and need
to point that every tomcat release so far ( except the very first one -
Sam may remember that ) was based on a majority vote on tomcat-dev.
That includes tomcat4.0, 3.3, 4.1.

The main problem that the 'revolution' rule solves ( IMO ) is that it
prevents a small group ( or one person ) to control a codebase and a
project by using the veto. It's quite easy to find technical
reasons with anything, and very hard to define what's 'valid'.

If a majority of committers wants to go in one direction with the
architecture or some features - and few people are against, then
the revolution is the only way to do that ( AFAIK ).

I'm very happy with how things work in tomcat ( 5.0 and all the other
nice things ).

Costin