www-community mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [discussion] Jakarta PMC bylaws change
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 18:26:59 GMT
I partially agree with Dirk's opinion. A very large PMC where people
don't feel a direct need to participate is wrong.

That's the reason I think 'active participants who volunteer for PMC'
is the right solution. If someone doesn't feel 'active' in jakarta or
doesn't have the time or wish to act as a PMC member - he should be
'emeritus' or shouldn't be an active pmc member.

If someone is active in jakarta he probably has all the reasons to
be active in the PMC as well - because most issues will affect him.
A license problem in a project that you use is a license problem for
your project too. And the motivation to solve this is pretty strong.

The process should be as objective as possible and bottom-up driven -
the number doesn't matter that much as long as everyone is motivated
and affected.

If the people in PMC are only a subset - it is very likely the
'hierarchy' issues will affect us. People might feel their
membership in the PMC gives them extra power on day-to-day
project activities. Or we may have extra politics on the
selection.

Costin