www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:30:24 GMT
--On Wednesday, November 27, 2002 12:34:00 -0800 Stefano Mazzocchi
<stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> I would like to propose the creation of the 'community.apache.org' web
> site.
>
> Currently, some people have their apache homepage on www.apache.org/~name
> and some on cvs.apache.org/~name and some don't have it.

I'm -0 on the proposal for the following reason: what happens when someone
places something inappropriate on their website?  While I know we're all
reasonably sane adults, I've run enough 'community' websites to get fed up
with morons complaining about potentially offensive comments one of our
users posted.  Even worse, when people place infringing
code/music/pictures, I end up being the bad guy shutting the account down.
I don't appreciate it when someone does that.  (Comments that we don't
assume liability for the content doesn't assuage an irate moron - they'll
still complain.)

I'm about as a strong proponent of free speech as there is, but this has
the propensity to snowball into a bureaucratic nightmare.  I'd rather
people only have ASF-related stuff on their 'personal' ASF website, or a
redirect/link to their 'official' non-ASF site.  I don't see how this
coincides with the goals of the ASF.

IMHO, each project (or sub-project) should have a page that lists all
frequent contributors with a link to their preferred page (this is what
HTTP Server and a few other projects do).  For HTTP Server, some people
have pictures and (not-so) witty comments on the 'contributors' page.

(Note: on infrastructure@, Stephen brought up ASF-wide blogs - my reply was
essentially the same as this.)  -- justin