www-community mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+apa...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: idiot.html
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:08:28 GMT
robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> writes:

> one of the continual battles we've had at jakarta is policing the
> mailing list and general in particular.
>
> people wanting to join a mailing list from the jakarta list have to go
> through two pages to get the actual lists in order to try to reduce
> the need for people to police the list guidelines. but this doesn't
> seem to be enough. we still get people posting who haven't taken the
> time or effort to read what's been created to help them.
>
> jon started taking a lot of the responsibility for policing very soon
> after the change from java@apache to jakarta@apache. he started off
> with elan and humour but over the years his responses got shorter and
> more curt as it became a chore. hence the jon.html which had to be
> used when people took it too personally.
>
> one problem which has become apparent over the last year or so is that
> jakarta lists are very widely mirrored - including onto news. this
> means that people post to our lists never having read the list
> guidelines or (as has happened in a couple of cases) not even
> realizing that they are on a mailing list.

Thanks alot for taking the time to dispassionately explain
the situation *such as it is*.  It's exactly the kind of answer
I was hoping for.  Unfortunately I don't know what sort of magic
is required to make everybody happy, but I do know there are other
online developer communities that have experienced similar growing
pains.

It might not hurt to survey some prior art; IME perl's p5p
developer list is exceptionally well-managed.  I don't have
first-hand experience with the php developer community, but
from my distant vantage point, they seem to be managing their
growth pretty well (at least angst-free).

--
Joe Schaefer