www-community mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:15:52 GMT

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:50:59AM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> > What about using CVS for this? Can only committers
> > checkout the "committers" module? (I see that it is
> > not available via ViewCVS.)
>
> Yes, the committers repos is only available to committers. Its absence from
> ViewCVS is probably more of an oversight than intended, but that *is* the
> correct standpoint. The repos contains committer-private information; in
> particular, the hackathon signup sheet is there -- the hackathon is not a
> public event.

So what's the hackathon? [Beyond the obvious of people doing some kind of
coding in a big session]. Does it have a focus, or completely open play
etc?

Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

There are some xml ones which might be of interest to the community.

Is this normal for ApacheCon? Or just an oddity. If it is normal, why is
it normal? I think the answer to that might be enlightening.

> I've been thinking about putting a list of all the top-level projects in
> there and detailing who is on the PMC for each, along with the chair. Partly
> for my own benefit when I need to mail the PMC Chairs for their reports to
> the Board :-)

+1. Knowing the scope/size of the community is a good way to understand
the community and become a part of the community.

Hen