www-community mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Man, it's quiet here
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:46:05 GMT

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> This is a symptom of having certain constituency that fails the basic
> UNIX literacy test.  So ssh'ing to a UNIX box and creating a .forward
> file is difficult.
>
> solution:

Solution is that when a new person is voted for committership, they are
invited to include their forwarding-email to the admin if they want such a
thing to be done. When the account is setup, a .forward can be made by the
admin via whatever script they want to use.

The problem isn't that people don't know how to use it IMO, it's more that
they don't know it's there.

Or even just switch the system. Make the default that all new committers
have a .forward made and a note is made for those happy with a unix-style
command line so they can remove it.

I'm very comfortable on a command line but took agesto setup a .forward
because I didn't even realise I had a bayard@apache.org email address
running. Was only later I found a 400k mailbox when I logged onto
cvs.apache.org and realised.

Hen