www-community mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Jakarta++
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:53:04 GMT
I think a lot of us have been talking past each other on the
various lists, and so I thought I would try and summarize the
situation as I understand it.

In the beginning, the Foundation was created to sponsor one or
more open source projects. Each project was to be managed by a
Project Management Committee. Each PMC is overseen by a board
officer. The PMC is generally made up of the senior Committers
to the project. Each PMC is to have a Chair, and the Chair is
to be a Member of the Foundation. The Chair is an
administrative officer and has the authority to take decisive
action when necessary.

The Jakarta PMC was created as an umbrella for nascent Java
products. Today, we might call it an incubator. The original
idea was that the Jakarta subprojects would one day grown into
Apache Projects. But the Jakarta community grew so quickly and
so well that we have lost sight of the original objective.

As it stands, the Jakarta PMC is filling the role of a board
and each subproject's Committers are acting as a PMC. This is
probably a good idea for young groups still learning The Way.
But many of the Jakarta subprojects are all-grown-up now. Like
any good parent, the Jakarta PMC should start encouraging the
mature subprojects to leave the nest.

This will mean that the nine Board officers will be the contact
for more Projects. But each of these Projects will have its own
Chair, and that Chair will be a Member of the Foundation too.
The other members of the Committee will be the senior
Committers to the Project, and hopefully the Project's officer
and Chair will recruit more Foundation Members from each
Project. More importantly, the Project's PMC will have both the
knowledge and the authority to deal with things like IP issues.

Today, Jakarta has Committers with the knowledge of problems,
but without the authority to take decisive action. Conversely,
we have a PMC with the authority to take action, but without
the knowledge to apply that authority with good conscious.

Jakarta is no longer a place of "little things". We sponsor
several important products and continue to attract others. The
people who created these products and their communities should
be encouraged to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Apache
giants, like httpd and PHP.

The Foundation's Board may need to undergo some refactoring to
deal with handling more Projects. But, given everything else we
have accomplished, I believe this is yet-another achievable
goal.

It's been said that a PMC is not a website and mailing list.
This is true. But it is also true that a virtual community *is*
a website and mailing list. As Jakarta subprojects become
Apache Projects, it is likely that some PMCs may wish to keep
the Project hosted at Jakarta, or at least linked through its
home page. This would serve the interests of the Community
quite well, since the Jakarta products really do work well
together. For that, both the Jakarta PMC and its legion of
Committers are to be commended.

-Ted.