www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF Membership Nomination
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:24:45 GMT

>> If they do not know what questions to ask, how are they to find the
>> answers?  I have read what documentation was apparent to me and I
>> feel I have a reasonable understanding of how things work.....but
>> what if I don't?  How do I know what the base set of information I
>> should know is?
>

> I have to ask so many questions these days I feel like an idiot.
> Sometimes I ask the wrong question, and have to figure out empirically
> how to ask the right one. But that doesn't stop me. I am trying to
> figure out how to be a jakarta subproject, and I ask when I am
> ignorant (perhaps even stupid if I forgot the answer given the first
> time and I can't find it). I think I can understand firsthand what
> it's like going in the other direction, and I have already had to
> tread the path you describe. What worked for me was to scan everything
> I could find, noting what seemed relevant, and asking questions.

Right, but in that case a great deal of patience must be involved in all
directions.  However patience seems to be a precious commodity in all
respects.

>> No but organizing the information into a "this is the minimum you
>> should know" will lead many people to read at least that.  Then they
>> will hopefully ask more questions.
>

> Absolutely. We'd be done by now if all the volumes of mail on reorg@
> and here were volumes of ASF doc. 8^) Mea culpa too.

hehe....but there in lies the dillemma... before the little fun on
reorg@ I had NO idea how to submit patches to the www site!  ;-)  And
everyone I'd asked had said "I don't know" ;-)

>> I've read them, but many people didn't subscribe to it at first, some
>> people don't speak english natively and so the legalistic language
>> may not be very digestable.
>

> Agreed, i18n'ing all this stuff is an excellent suggestion for a later
> step. As you say, people are doubtless now catching up noi their reading.

Well you can easily deduce my opinion on the i18n thing...
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/  (see the various languages we've begun
translating)....and if no one does it... I give it ago ;-) even if I
don't speak the language... this encourages those who don't wish to see
their native languages defaced in such a way to contribute ;-)

>> and what do you suggest I search on exactly.  Do you feel that this
>> kind of searching would be okay given the poor performance of the web
>> server over the last few days?
>>
>> Honestly it didn't occur to me to shell in and grep through the
>> hundreds of megs of...  I shall do so.  (Though not via C shell which
>> I have a great deal of distaste for :-p)
>

> No worry. If I knew your problem set better (or understood WTF you
> wrote 8^) I might be able to help more. But it's worth using the
> tools, whichever ones you like, sometimes on unusual ways. 100's of Mb
> of grep might not be the best approach on a loaded server.

I'm looking for the text version of this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/agreement.html

which is supposedly in text form SOMEWHERE in CVS in some module...

>> "because thats the way we've always done it" -- perhaps a more
>> constructive way to put this would be "Can we work to propose the
>> changes formally before beginning to propose members on the community
>> list and chaning the process ad hoc, would it not be better for sam
>> to first put this up to a vote or something before just doing this"
>>
>> On the other hand, perhaps sam regards doing this as free speech
>> leading up to a formal revision of the process.  I guess I'll leave
>> that up to sam rather than speculate.  While I've been posting
>> proposed solutions to the problems as they are brought up and listing
>> the tradeoffs as I see them and asking for further input (thereby
>> trying to capture multiple viewpoints) , I think we're making
>> progress on trying to build a more cohesive and open community...
>> But then again, I'm a crazy man.
>

> All of the above. On the one hand, "because thats the way we've always
> done it" doesn't invalidate a process that works. It might need to get
> that written down for some to feel better with it.
>
> On the other hand free speech is cool with me, it should go without
> saying. 8^) It is customary to abandon working within a system if one
> exhausts all avenues there, and work outside it. I don't think that's
> been done here yet. I do realize some folks think they have exhausted
> all alternatives. That disconnect alone is fertile soil for polarization.

No I think its "openness" vs "closedness"..  Saying "exhaust all avenues
working in the closed system to see if that achieves the openness you
desire" is kinda....  self-contradicting?

>> It seems a great deal of focus has been put on how to change
>> Jakarta... I do not feel persistantly harping on the idea is
>> productive without concrete and constructive ideas.  I think we
>> should begin talking about "Whats good" and "how do we improve it"
>> rather than focusing on individuals and groups within the whole
>> (singling them out) and finding what sucks about them.  "Perhaps the
>> HTTPD crowd is too autocratic and secretive" -- is that a productive
>> statement?  No.  "Lets work on finding things that are currently
>> discussed in secret, figure out why and how they can be made more
>> open.  For instance currently.... I suggest...."  -- The same general
>> statement --- only its connotation is very different.  Thats how I
>> feel about it.
>>

> I need to say I want to put the focus on changing ourselves, as well.
> The one thing I can't seem to see here sometimes are the results of
> self-examination as well as examining others. I know for a fact you
> and I are starting to agree more than we disagree, so I know that
> unwritten process can work.

Which I guess is basically the part I agreed with...  Rather than having
a philisophical discussion on it...lets you and I lead by example.. . ;-)

-andy