www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome to Apache Letter
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:50:32 GMT
from www.m-w.com -

2: right something to which one has a just claim: as *a* *:* the power
or privilege to which one is justly entitled *b *(1) *:* the interest
that one has in a piece of property -- often used in plural <mineral
/right//s/> (2) /plural/ *:* the property interest possessed under law
or custom and agreement in an intangible thing especially of a literary
and artistic nature <film /right//s/of the novel>

*1 privilege:* a right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit,
advantage, or favor *: PREROGATIVE
<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=prerogative>*;
/especially/ *:* such a right or immunity attached specifically to a
position or an office

---------------------
Generally the distinction is that rights can be defended and privileges
cannot.  So in exchange for my contributions and stewardship over a
project I'm granted the right to help determine its direction.  In the
event I feel my rights are violated I have the abillity to take my
cookies and go home, and hence ceasing my contributions and stewardship,
fork the codebase and continue on with a competing project. (good
example: openBSD freeBSD netBSD....)

Granted the seriousness of my doing this depends on the value of my
contributions (which is actually supports this more than weakens)..

I know I'm not supposed to even say such a thing, but the point is not
that I'm planning to do such a thing but that committers do have
"rights" that can be defended.  Hence it is both a right and a privilege.

-Andy