www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome to Apache Letter
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:03:41 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:48, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> >Peter Donald wrote:
> >
> >>Committers have no rights, just privlidges.
> >
> >What about the right to place a binding vote and propose somebody for
> >commit access? aren't they rights?
>

> Anyone can propose somebody for commit access (they may not be able to
> vote
> but that is besides the point) :)
>
> But a "binding vote" is a privlidge. If that privlidge is abused then it
> should be reoved. ie Technically I believe I could still vote on Cocoon
> (unless 6 months "retiring" has been acted on) when I shouldn't be
> allowed
> to. If I came in and decided that I didn't want cocoon to do something
> because;
>  * I had my own pet xml framework that I wanted to promote above Cocoon
> or
>  * I wanted to hurt some Cocoon committer because they had pissed me off
> or
>  * I wanted to force cocoon to adopt my pet toolkit
> or
> ...  ...
>
> And lets also assume I can come up with a valid technical reason
> (should not
> be hard). Do I still get to vote on this? Or to be more precise -
> should I
> get a vote on this?
>
> Or an even simpler example. When the ECM was being developed I pointed
> out
> several design decisions that I believed were mind numbingly stupid. I
> could
> quite easily figure out technical reasons to block its development and I
> certainly helped enough to be classified as participating (I suspect
> me and
> leif have been the most active on it over last couple of months). Even
> then -
> do you think I have the "right" to veto changes for some petty vindictive
> reasons?
>
> Nope. Voting is definetly a privlidge, not a right. People who abuse
> it by
> using it as a weapon should have their privs yoinked.

Gotcha.

You're right, I was wrong. Voting is definately a priviledge :)

Just one thing, if the voting rules remain the same since I wrote them
in the java.apache constitution, technically, only committers can
propose a person for commit access.

In practice, there is probably no difference, but I think it's a good
statement of IoC there as well and I like it.