www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF Membership Nomination
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:22:16 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:

> 10/29/2002 5:16:57 AM, Greg Stein  wrote:
>
> >Sorry, but nominations for membership, commit status, or PMC
> >membership really should be private. I absolutely will not
> >participate in such an environment, and will encourage others
> >to avoid it also. These kinds of discussions really don't
> >enhance the community.
>

> It's worth mentioning that, right now, commit access to
> Jakarta subprojects is decided on the public DEV lists. So, the
> idea of doing so much on closed lists seems novel and strange
> to some of us.

True, but it happened several times in the projects I supervised or
being part of, that committers seeked consensus privately exactly not to
influence the person.

Nicola, for example (I'm citing this because he knows so no harm is
done), was proposed for commit access in a private multi-CCed email and
turned down by me since I thought he needed more time to 'tune' to how
things were working on the mail list.

Note: publicly, I never had to turn down any committer and I think I
voted in several tens of them.

Anyway, he was proposed for commit access a few months later and voted
in with no negative vote. He not only proved his skills, but the ability
to learn from his mistakes.

If voted down pubblicly the first time, I have the impression that he
would have left, with big disadvantage of everyone, himself first.

So, I think that proposing nominations in public does no harm if there
reasonable estimation that nobody would be against it. But, in any other
case, a private votation will serve the person nominated best.

At least, that has been my experience.