www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Man, it's quiet here
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:10:54 GMT

>indeed.  i have a more-than-sneaking suspicion that an awful lot
>of *@apache.org addresses don't reach their owners.  i think
>that's something that should be fixed, since it means they're
>not being notified of things sent to committers@, which by
>definition concern them..
>
>so by all means the various lists should be notified of this
>list's existence.. and all committers who want to subscribe
>requested to use their @apache.org address.  not only will
>that make it easier for the moderators to decide whether to
>approve subscriptions, but it should also help validate the
>@apache.org addresses.

This is a symptom of having certain constituency that fails the basic
UNIX literacy test.  So ssh'ing to a UNIX box and creating a .forward
file is difficult.

solution:
1. web based tool that does this - I can offer advice on how to pull
this off reasonably securely but cannot contribute code to this effort
due to lack of time.
2. new box for 'doze heads called unstable.apache.org that runs WIN XP
or something that they can log into and do for themselves

I suggest #1...  others have any ideas?