www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Ant nudge STATUS] Better than we thought...
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:04:43 GMT

>> The idea:
>>
>> ant.apache.org would become a valid url
>

> Good move - presumably could be indendent of the rest of the points ?

This has been asked but not answered.  I think the answer is probably no
as those are reserved for top level projects.  (I prefer the answer to
be yes...but I don't think it is)

>> ant would have its own PMC composed of whomever the committers decide
>> (I guess)
>> ant would report directly to the board
>

> Pros and cons - appears to me that the main issue is general
> discontinuity of the value perception - committers look at a PMC and
> see it as an overhead and something to push into the furthests reaches
> of their minds - board members see this is the accountability
> mechanisms - I'm still thinging about this one - I know there is
> something wrong with the model but I don't have througts together yet.

Understandable.  Another benefit:  greater self determination.  Although
its in a less tangible way as Jakarta committers have great deal of
this.  But you need to think not only about ant but in a global kind of
manner (the ASF as a whole)

>> unresolved (but I think open...or maybe I'm wrong)
>> relationship between ant and Jakarta (I'm assuming it would answer to
>> Jakarta only in name/branding)
>

> Good move - leverage Jakarta (brand etc.).

agreed.

>> jakarta.apache.org/ant still valid url?
>

> Should be.

agreed

>> greater access to the members/board
>

> Questionable given the PMC concept verus community disconnect I'm seeing.

well principally you should be interested in this communication.
 Another PRO...
more opportunity for ant committers to become recognized and achieve
membership.

>> Disadvantage
>> reporting directly to the board (from a laziness perspective...I
>> think you have to actually "report" though I could be wrong)
>> you'd be the first to make the transition
>

> My impression is that this something comming (which I happen to think
> is long overdue).

which this would help achieve..

>> Ant is the project I personally would like to see be top level most.
>> Suggestion:
>> Someone who understands the proposed process of this happening draft
>> a formal proposal to be voted on..
>

> I'm not on the ant list but I would be definaterly keen to see such a
> proposal cross posted to community@

yes.  or just moved there.