www-community mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jakarta++
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:03:07 GMT
10/28/2002 9:39:47 AM, Pier Fumagalli <pier@betaversion.org>
wrote:
>I would just like to add one little thing. Thinking about this
more
>"flexible" structure where the oversight chain
(committers/pmc/board) isY
>different from the "grouping chain" (jakarta or xml as focal
centers of
>communities based around projects having different oversight
chains), will
>allow also project whose scope is blurred between tow
different groups to be
>represented by both...
>
>My example being Cocoon, which could be hosted by Jakarta with
its
>"competing alikes" Turbine, Struts, ... (web application
frameworks) but at
>the same time by XML because if the core technologies used by
it...

A sensible way to go would be to look toward sites like Jakarta
and XML (and whatever for .NET) being mainly the home of
Commons projects. They could then also list and promote the
other Apache Projects in their language group (many of which
would be clients of the site's Commons).

I think in the end we will find that the Commons idea is mostly
language specific, since many of the components are filling
gaps in the host language. Before long, an Apache Commons will
tend to splinter into groups working on this language or that
language.

Any Commons component so clearly defined that it could be
implemented in multiple languages that it might really be a
small product. By implementing it multiple languages, it would
quickly become a larger product, and then be a Project
candidate.

I also think that the Commons is the best way to build
community among developers working on different projects. By
giving them a place to share their stuff, we give everyone a
chance to work together and get to know one another.

Originally, Tomcat was the "anchor" for Jakarta. But looking
forward, I could see the Commons filling that role instead.

As we attract Committers working in other languages, like C#,
they might want to establish a Commons site too, and other C#
Projects listed there, regardless of whether they are living in
the incubator or as a top level Project.

Which brings up another critical point. I think a product
hosted at a place called "incubator" might have some trouble
attracting a Community. =:0) I agree with having the Project,
and using the name to remind everyone what its about, but we
may need to list the incubator products along side more mature
products to attact a stable audience. Which brings us back to
using places like Jakarta and XML like portals, rather than as
product hosts.

-Ted.