www-community mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: ASF Membership Nomination
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:58:22 GMT

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 06:37 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> While I would like to continue with open processes that are kept
> private only when specific events require it.
> Why? mostly because of the perception given to the people.
> Perception is important, expecially in building a community.
> But at the end, I think there is very little difference between the two
> processes technically, what is important is just the perception given
> to the people of the community.
> And I think this list shows that Jakarta is much healthier than the
> rest of the ASF in that respect. Even if, sometimes, they have been
> even *too* open.
> But keeping things balanced is a very difficult thing.

I would ask if it has ever been asked if there is a downside to total
openness.

I would also say that my experience has been that total openness on
these sorts of projects has resulted merely in all the private
discussion going out of band, so almost everyone gets to feel equal in
their exclusion.

Chuck