www-community mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome to Apache Letter
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 07:13:09 GMT
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:48, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Committers have no rights, just privlidges.
>
> What about the right to place a binding vote and propose somebody for
> commit access? aren't they rights?

Anyone can propose somebody for commit access (they may not be able to vote
but that is besides the point) :)

But a "binding vote" is a privlidge. If that privlidge is abused then it
should be reoved. ie Technically I believe I could still vote on Cocoon
(unless 6 months "retiring" has been acted on) when I shouldn't be allowed
to. If I came in and decided that I didn't want cocoon to do something
because;
 * I had my own pet xml framework that I wanted to promote above Cocoon
or
 * I wanted to hurt some Cocoon committer because they had pissed me off
or
 * I wanted to force cocoon to adopt my pet toolkit
or
... <insert some other personal reason> ...

And lets also assume I can come up with a valid technical reason (should not
be hard). Do I still get to vote on this? Or to be more precise - should I
get a vote on this?

Or an even simpler example. When the ECM was being developed I pointed out
several design decisions that I believed were mind numbingly stupid. I could
quite easily figure out technical reasons to block its development and I
certainly helped enough to be classified as participating (I suspect me and
leif have been the most active on it over last couple of months). Even then -
do you think I have the "right" to veto changes for some petty vindictive
reasons?

Nope. Voting is definetly a privlidge, not a right. People who abuse it by
using it as a weapon should have their privs yoinked.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
   "You can't depend on your eyes when your
   imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain