www-community mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: ASF Membership Nomination
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:03:07 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:22:16AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> True, but it happened several times in the projects I supervised or
> being part of, that committers seeked consensus privately exactly not to
> influence the person.
>
> Nicola, for example (I'm citing this because he knows so no harm is
> done), was proposed for commit access in a private multi-CCed email and
> turned down by me since I thought he needed more time to 'tune' to how
> things were working on the mail list.
>
> Note: publicly, I never had to turn down any committer and I think I
> voted in several tens of them.
>
> Anyway, he was proposed for commit access a few months later and voted
> in with no negative vote. He not only proved his skills, but the ability
> to learn from his mistakes.
>
> If voted down pubblicly the first time, I have the impression that he
> would have left, with big disadvantage of everyone, himself first.
>
> So, I think that proposing nominations in public does no harm if there
> reasonable estimation that nobody would be against it. But, in any other
> case, a private votation will serve the person nominated best.
>
> At least, that has been my experience.

The irony here is that by attempting to come to a pre-concensus the
vote and discussion turned inadvertently private, which by its mere
existance shows that the public system failed. I would much rather have
the situation we have now in the httpd or members lists where nominations
are made to everyone (and exclusively to everyone) would will have to
vote on that nomination.

-aaron