www-community mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF Membership Nomination
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:44:19 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > No, not a PMC. I mean a method for *all* committers of a
> > project to be able to discuss certain things in private.
>
> Heh, it's the project that rules how the PMC is composed! I will be in
> favor of making every committer that wants to be part of the PMC, part
> of it. Like it happens on HTTPD.
>
> The PMC concept, in fact, was designed after *that*!
>

> > I notice that you expressed similar reasoning to my first
> > paragraph, in your other reply to this thread. It was the
> > success of that small-group off-line proposal and subsequent
> > on-line vote of Nicola Ken committer, that sparked my reply too.
>
> Yes, I noticed this.
>
> But think about it: if cocoon is a project and all the committers that
> care enough are part of the PMC and are the legal protectors of the code
> and there is one official representative that talks directly to the
> board and can report problems or achievements. Wouldn't it be all much
> lighter and clean?

Aha, thanks, now it is all clear. The PMCs are the missing link.
... a place to discuss certain occasional private project issues.
I was under the impression that PMCs were a subset of committers,
but now i see that it can be all who are interested. That solves
it - i can now go and vote for "community" list to be fully open.
--David