www-community mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Open this list
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 02:28:51 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
>  Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > Okay.  Sam and others have convinced me. .  though I reserve the right
> > to taunt you all when the J.D.s enter and we have too much goofiness
> >  (more than I cause that is ;-) )
> >
> > lets open it up and see what happens.  if havoc is wreaked its
> > correctable so I change my vote to +1 for all open.  I think thats the
> > forming consensus so lets wrap this up in the next day or so and just do
> > it.  Then some karma blessed person should update the "site".
>
> Euh... how about giving the vote more than 24 hours? Vote taking should
> preferably be given about 72 hours. There are always cases where it needs to
> be shortened, but this isn't one of them.

The planet had not even rotated half-way around. The "vote"
started at 23:30 last night Australian time. I got my mail
early on Sunday morning and some are saying that it is over.
?

Sorry, i trust that my next statement is not too disruptive,
but it is important to get things straight early, hence ...

I think that this vote may not have followed decent procedures.

We were asked on a Friday to wait until the subscriber base
of "community" had built and fade out on "reorg". One of the
first threads on the list is a vote!

I was under the impression that a clear [PROPOSAL} is discussed
first to formulate the intent of a vote. The options that are
arrived at during that thread are then clearly stated by the
originator of the proposal in a subsequent ]VOTE] thread.

This vote was too rushed. I see people voting +1 on two
options, and others trying to re-write the options to be
clearer on what is being voted for.

On a related issue, i am having trouble finding any docs
about voting procedures for the Apache community.
--David