From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2019, Las Vegas - CFP link disabled before deadline
Date Mon, 13 May 2019 14:59:34 GMT

On 5/13/19 10:03 AM, sebb wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2019 at 14:48, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 5/13/19 8:34 AM, Suresh Kumar Anaparti wrote:
>>> Hi ApacheCon team,
>>>
>>> CFP link to submit proposal is disabled before the deadline. Please check.
>>
>> No. It wasn't. This is a matter of timezone differences.
>
> I've not seen how the deadline time was expressed, but it sounds like
> it may have been expressed using a local time-zone.
> If so, may I suggest that future deadlines are expressed as UTC?
> Possibly also a weblink that automatically displays the local time.

Well, sure, ok, but it doesn't matter. No matter when we close the CFP,
no matter what timezone we have expressed it in, no matter what grace
period we provide, there are people who attempt to submit after it
closes. I am convinced that the only actual solution is to advertise one
close date/time, and then actually close it 24 hours after that. Except
then then people come to expect that, and you're back at the beginning.

And, FWIW, CFP end time was expressed in the local time of the browser
viewing it, specifically so there could be no confusion. Yet here we are. :)

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/