From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon.next
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2017 19:20:54 GMT

> On Jan 27, 2017, at 12:17 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 01/27/2017 01:58 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 27, 2017, at 6:18 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> (With apologies to people who have already seen this discussion
>>> elsewhere. I figured more eyes on it was better.)
>>>
>>> As you might imagine, I've spent a LOT of time over the last 15 years
>>> thinking about what ApacheCon is, and should be. Moving from a handful
>>> of projects all in generally the same technology space, to 300 projects
>>> across all areas of technology, has put a great strain on our ability to
>>> produce a conference that is "about Apache", and have people actually
>>> attend to it.
>>>
>>> I'd like to offer my vision for ApacheCon.next - something that we've
>>> already been moving towards for many years, and which we want to make
>>> the final leap to in 2018 - ApacheCon as a convention of Apache project
>>> mini-conferences.
>>>
>>> In Miami this year, we'll be hosting CloudStack Collaboration
>>> Conference, TomcatCon, and Flex Project Summit. We have room for one
>>> more such event, if your project wants to have a dedicated, branded
>>> track or mini-conference. In discussion on other lists, it looks like an
>>> IoT mini-conference is shaping up, which I'm very excited about.
>>

>> I hope the ATS/ATC project is on that list of summits? The PMC chair(s) should have
contacted you already? If not, can you mark them down? The plan is to have ATS (and possibly
ATC) Summits on Sun - Mon before ACNA, unless you think it’d be acceptable to have them
overlap with ACNA? If so, we should talk, because I think people would prefer our Summits
on Mon-Tue, or even Tue-Wed.

> Nobody has been in touch with me. It's possible that they've been in
> touch with Angela, but nobody has mentioned it to me. I know there was
> talk early on about a Monday or Monday/Tuesday event, but I never saw
> anything firm.

Roger, I will talk to the PMC chairs. Is there a preference from ACNA / LinuxFoundation? I’m
fairly certain we would prefer Mon-Tue, or even Tue-Wed if LF is ok with that.

> Events that are outside of the main event (chronologically) will have to
> have a different pricing, somehow, to accommodate for these
> out-of-schedule days.

Yep. That’s what we did last year, it was a marginal cost (I think $150 / person) for those
who did not attend ACNA itself. For ACNA ticket holders, there was no additional fee.

Cheers,

— Leif