From Rohit Jain <rohit.j...@esgyn.com>
Subject Re: Apache BD EU
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:59:59 GMT
If I had understood this better perhaps I would have submitted a talk for both the Big Data
and the Core conference.  But, as Pierre says, it is associated with Big Data. So certainly
it belongs there and would target the audience focused on the Hadoop ecosystem.  It would
be interesting to see what the tracks and schedules for both eventually look like and what
the attendee overlap is between the two conferences.

Rohit

On Jul 1, 2015, at 6:33 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1 July 2015 at 13:23, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Could you please elaborate on your statements? Do you disagree that a Trafodion talk
fits with Apache BD? And that you rather have it in ApacheCon, as you expect that so many
other talks in that stream will get rejected so that the Trafodion talk will get accepted?
I am getting confused here...

I worded it carefully, because this is not my decision, that is a decision the project must
make. I was merely stating the differences.

We (being the reviewers) should be very careful not to have real opinions where a talk belongs.
We review the talk where it is submitted. That said for CORE
I know of a handful of talks where I will ask (not tell) the author if they prefer to submit
it to big data.

At the moment I have no idea where we will land with the scheduling, I dont even have all
the tracks in my head. I have learned that if I try  to do reviewing and
scheduling it tends to become unfair like:
when reviewing talk foo....hmmmm we already have too many talks from that projects, so better
reject it.

instead I review, only thinking of the single talk. And then once we all have reviewed, then
I start building the schedule.

hope that clears your confusion.
rgds
jan I.

> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM
> Services & Solutions for Cloud-
> Based Manufacturing, Professional
> Services and Retail & Trade
> http://www.orrtiz.com
>
>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Wednesday, July 1, 2015, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Jan,
>>>
>>> I would say that it excellently fits into the Apache BD stream, as it is closely
related to Big Data products like Apache Hadoop, Apache Hive, Apache Zookeeper, Apache Ambari
and others.

>>> I will leave it up to Rohit to decide whether to move it to ApacheCon or leave
it as it is. But it seems to me that the ApacheCon is already a bit overcrowded. As outlined
elswhere by Roman the Trafodion  podling can opt for a pitch in the Incubator track to promote
itself to other projects' contributors to build its community.

>> It need to be a bit crowded, because some talks get rejected.
>>
>> Incubator is a priority at Core not at big data, but anyhow we are past the deadline.
>>
>> rgds
>> jan i
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Pierre Smits