From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with "apache: Big data" and "apacheCon: Core"
Date Fri, 29 May 2015 18:31:28 GMT
Hi Leif

On 29 May 2015 at 19:07, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:

> > On May 28, 2015, at 11:58 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Dear PMC.
> >
> > We have just announced the call for Papers for "apache Big data" and
> > "apacheCon: Core”.
>

> I would like to propose a track for “Core”, titled simply “HTTP/2”. I
> would suggest that we have talks from Apache projects (cross functional)
> that are implementing / using H2, or are considering implementing H2. E.g.
>
>         Apache HTTPD
>         Apache Traffic Server
>         Apache Tomcat (I think?)
>         <I’m sure there must be others? > :-)

I think your idea looks good, I am not sure I would bring in a lot more
projects for this track. I would instead consider
making a panel with the external speaker and members from the projects to
discuss how they see the future of Web in
general. e.g. Will H2 be used mainly as a carrier between server/client
apps, will H2 be expanded to cover cloud issues,
like multi homing...etc.

Can I mark you as point on getting this on the road, getting people to make
presentations etc...I can help with the logistic.

> I think one talk from each such Apache project would be appropriate. In
> addition, I’d strongly recommend that we get at least one or two invited
> subject experts to come talk on HTTP/2. Some names coming to mind include
>
>         Mark Nottingham (Akamai)
>         Roberto Peon (Google)
>         Daniel Stenberg (Haxx / curl & Mozilla)
>         Patrick McManus (Mozilla)
>         Rob Trace (Microsoft)

We do need some keynote speakers, preferable from Europe, do you have
contact with any of them ?

Keynotes are LF territory, but they like suggestions.

> If we want to be adventurous, we could even invite someone who’s skeptical
> on the H2 protocol (e.g. Poul-Henning Kamp).

Heh, he would be a good speaker and afterwards in a panel.

thanks for volunteering.
rgds
jan I.