From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help with "apache: Big data" and "apacheCon: Core"
Date Fri, 29 May 2015 21:02:46 GMT

> On May 29, 2015, at 11:31 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Leif
>
> On 29 May 2015 at 19:07, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>> On May 28, 2015, at 11:58 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear PMC.
>>>
>>> We have just announced the call for Papers for "apache Big data" and
>>> "apacheCon: Core”.
>>

>> I would like to propose a track for “Core”, titled simply “HTTP/2”. I
>> would suggest that we have talks from Apache projects (cross functional)
>> that are implementing / using H2, or are considering implementing H2. E.g.
>>
>>        Apache HTTPD
>>        Apache Traffic Server
>>        Apache Tomcat (I think?)
>>        <I’m sure there must be others? > :-)
>>

> I think your idea looks good, I am not sure I would bring in a lot more
> projects for this track. I would instead consider
> making a panel with the external speaker and members from the projects to
> discuss how they see the future of Web in
> general. e.g. Will H2 be used mainly as a carrier between server/client
> apps, will H2 be expanded to cover cloud issues,
> like multi homing...etc.
>
> Can I mark you as point on getting this on the road, getting people to make
> presentations etc...I can help with the logistic.

I can try, but I don’t know what level of interest there is from these projects and/or LF.
Do we solicit this first, and then propose to LF? Or do we ask LF first for interest, and
then solicit participation?

>> I think one talk from each such Apache project would be appropriate. In
>> addition, I’d strongly recommend that we get at least one or two invited
>> subject experts to come talk on HTTP/2. Some names coming to mind include
>>
>>        Mark Nottingham (Akamai)
>>        Roberto Peon (Google)
>>        Daniel Stenberg (Haxx / curl & Mozilla)
>>        Patrick McManus (Mozilla)
>>        Rob Trace (Microsoft)
>>
> We do need some keynote speakers, preferable from Europe, do you have
> contact with any of them ?

Yeah, I can definitely contact some of them if we decide to do this. Daniel is in Sweden,
so might be the best candidate? Microsoft might be interested, but I’d have to reach out
to them.

> Keynotes are LF territory, but they like suggestions.
>

>> If we want to be adventurous, we could even invite someone who’s skeptical
>> on the H2 protocol (e.g. Poul-Henning Kamp).
>>
> Heh, he would be a good speaker and afterwards in a panel.

I don’t know PHK personally, if someone does and can reach out to him, that’d be good.

> thanks for volunteering.

Wait, wut ? :-)

— Leif