From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: Presentation template for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 19:03:34 GMT
[… user (or should I say "victim"?) pain …]

On Oct 29, 2014, at 11:16 AM, Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> Yup. However, I've yet to see an MUA that handles this header in any
> meaningful way; so your average Joe lUser is not likely to even know
> that these headers exist, let alone have a clue what to do about them.
>
> Sigh.

THey know exactly what to do with them. Scream at the list. The point it that very few people
care to investigate their environment enough to see whether they can change it themselves.
The very essence of "entitled," but what are software designers doing to incorporate technologies
that engage with the user and assist them in developing their skill level?

"I see you're getting pissed with a mailing list. Would you like me to bring up an unsubscribe
request?" An open source Bob the Paperclip? Don't see it happening any time soon.

Let's not be too dismissive of users just because we ourselves have enormous brains of which
we are inordinately proud (I understand I may be speaking only for myself here). Without their
needs the software business would be rather smaller.

Steve Holden steve@holdenweb.com +1 571 484 6266 @holdenweb