From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Announcing ApacheCon North America 2014
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2014 14:44:46 GMT

On 01/31/2014 10:46 AM, J.Lance Wilkinson wrote:
> Rich Bowen wrote:
>> We are pleased to announce that The Apache Software Foundation, in
>> conjunction with The Linux Foundation, will be producing ApacheCon
>> North America 2014 in Denver Colorado, April 7-9, with tutorials to
>> follow April 10-11.
>>
>> More details in the blog post at
>> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/linux_foundation_and_the_apache
>>
>> Register, or submit talks, at
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america
>>
>> See you in Denver!
>>

>     I'm having trouble selling attending ApacheCon to my funding wardens
>     this year -- directional changes in the organization require much
>     more justifying documentation, as well as commitment to what
>     tangible projects for the organization WILL DIRECTLY FLOW FROM MY
>     ATTENDING.
>
>     As the organization I'm working with begins to spread more into
>     the areas of big data and cloud computing, it almost seems like
>     Cloutstack Collaboration Conference might be a better fit -- UNLESS
>     I know that at least as significant content for these areas will
>     still be part of ApacheCon too.
>
>     But without even a tentative session schedule, I can't do much more
>     than guess, and certainly not soon enough to beat the January 31st
> deep
>     discount deadline.

Yes, I can sympathize with that. Working with a very short timeline
makes it difficult to make these decisions.

I can tell you that the CFP looks like we'll end up with a full day
track - at least - on Cloudstack/libcloud/jclouds content, just based on
the talks I've seen submitted so far. But if you're looking at heavy use
of Cloudstack, I do agree that the CCC might be a better fit.

>     1) Has a decision been made to maintain at least as significant
>         coverage of big data and cloud computing within the ApacheCon
>         tracks as last year?   Or is all that content spun off into the
>         Cloudstack conference?

 From the CFP, it looks like it will be both places. It's hard to say
for sure, since the talk selection process is still ongoing.

>     2) Will a tentative session schedule for both these conferences be
>         published before the NEXT discount deadline of March 14th?

Yes. We plan to have a tentative schedule published by mid February. I
can't give a definite date yet, because we have over 200 talks to
review, but getting a schedule published asap is a high priority for me.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon