From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Site is down or removed
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:41:41 GMT

Ok,

So now that I sent this message, I have stumbled across a message from our domain registrar.

#######################

Dear Host,

We will be initiating the renewal for your "apachecon.eu" domain
on 11/15/2013.

Please be sure to check the status of the domain renewal by visiting
Domain Central after 11/30/2013:
http://members.dotster.com/controlpanel/domaincentral/index.bml
(Remember, it can take up to 72 hours for a renewal to be processed.)

The renewal will be charged to the credit card we have on file for
your account and will be processed when the renewal is initiated.
(If you have a domain credit available in your account, we will use
that to renew your domain, and you will not be charged for the
renewal.)

If you would prefer to handle the renewal yourself or renew for
a period longer than a year, please ...
- Go to Domain Central:
http://members.dotster.com/controlpanel/domaincentral/index.bml
- Click on the link for your "apachecon.eu" domain name
- Click on the button to renew your domain
- Follow the instructions for purchasing a domain credit and
 completing your renewal.

Pricing information for domains purchased through Dotster is
available in DomainCentral:
http://www.dotster.com/controlpanel/domaincentral/beta/index.bml

Important: To process the renewal yourself, you must initiate
the renewal process or opt out of the Automated Domain Renewal
system through Domain Central before 11/15/2013.

You can access Domain Central by visiting:
http://www.dotster.com/controlpanel/domaincentral/beta/index.bml

If you have questions about your domain or the renewal process,
please submit a request directly to our ticketing system via
your Support Console:
http://www.dotster.com/controlpanel/sconsole

Wishing you continued success,
The Dotster Team

#####################

On 13 Nov 2013, at 07:39, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:38, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Tony Stevenson wrote:
>>> I hazard a guess that apachecon.eu has since expired, it seems to be
>>> in the locked state awaiting expiry. Do we really want to renew this
>>> if it has indeed expired? Or rather re-register it? Can we possibly
>>> agree on one standard?
>>
>> Not that I really like mixing public lists, private lists, personal communication
and a JIRA issue sitting untouched at
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira//browse/INFRA-6973 ...
>> but the .eu registry at http://www.eurid.eu/ says it is registered in the name of
Mark (even though it may be in quarantine; often on eurid.eu I see that domains are considered
registered until the last day of the month in which they expire).

>> Anyway, agreeing on one standard is good. But letting domains expire as a policy
is very bad,

> First, this is not policy and is not normal.  Please don’t assume that it is.  If it
has expired *and* we (infra) managed the domain then it has somehow slipped under our radar.
I suspect auto-renew might not have been enabled.

>> since we have plenty of links to apachecon.eu from,
>
> Why do we?  We should be linking to apachecon.com which is the canonical namespace.
At best apachecon.eu should be redirecting to .com - at worst we should just be holding the
domain to protect the namespace.

>> for example, blog posts. And this would result in our official blog
>
> What official blog is this?  URL, please?
>

>> linking to a spam/whatever site if the domain is let expire. So I would prefer that
the domain is renewed or redeemed, set to auto-renew and then redirected to whatever convention
we agree upon.

> eurid.eu is currently broken, in that their whois service is down.  If the domain has
expired, we will now have to wait until it is released into the public domain for purchase
again. I am not sure off hand what the timescales for these are, if it is anything like .uk
registrar it is in suspension for 30 days, then locked for 30 more before being released for
general sale again.

>> Regards,
>> Andrea.
>

> Cheers,