From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Site is down or removed
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:20:02 GMT
Tony Stevenson wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:38, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> letting domains expire as a policy is very bad,
> First, this is not policy and is not normal.  Please don’t assume that it is.

OK. I mean, whatever the cause, letting a domain expire even when it can
still be rescued and not be turned into a spam site is not good (yes,
I've seen the other message where it seems that the domain will be
renewed this week; this is good news).

>> since we have plenty of links to apachecon.eu from,
> Why do we?

Simply because there used to be a website there. For sure that was the
URL I commonly used to advertise ApacheCon one year ago.

>> for example, blog posts. And this would result in our official blog
> What official blog is this?  URL, please?

Limited to my own posts:
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/openoffice_track_at_apachecon_day
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_track_at_apachecon
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_track_at_apachecon1

> If the domain has expired, we will now have to wait until it is released into the public
domain

.eu domains undergo a 40-days quarantine period (also serving as
redemption period) and then are released to public, but from very recent
experience with a couple of clients that had let their .eu domains in
the hands of unreachable former consultants I can tell that spammers are
unbeatable in grabbing the domain after the 40 days and turn it into a
spam site before the legitimate owner can try to register it again. The
only solution is that the domain owner redeems the domain during the 40
days.

Regards,
   Andrea.