From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Site is down or removed
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:39:54 GMT

On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:38, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> Tony Stevenson wrote:
>> I hazard a guess that apachecon.eu has since expired, it seems to be
>> in the locked state awaiting expiry. Do we really want to renew this
>> if it has indeed expired? Or rather re-register it? Can we possibly
>> agree on one standard?
>
> Not that I really like mixing public lists, private lists, personal communication and
a JIRA issue sitting untouched at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira//browse/INFRA-6973 ...
> but the .eu registry at http://www.eurid.eu/ says it is registered in the name of Mark
(even though it may be in quarantine; often on eurid.eu I see that domains are considered
registered until the last day of the month in which they expire).

> Anyway, agreeing on one standard is good. But letting domains expire as a policy is very
bad,

First, this is not policy and is not normal.  Please don’t assume that it is.  If it has
expired *and* we (infra) managed the domain then it has somehow slipped under our radar. I
suspect auto-renew might not have been enabled.

> since we have plenty of links to apachecon.eu from,

Why do we?  We should be linking to apachecon.com which is the canonical namespace.  At best
apachecon.eu should be redirecting to .com - at worst we should just be holding the domain
to protect the namespace.

> for example, blog posts. And this would result in our official blog

What official blog is this?  URL, please?

> linking to a spam/whatever site if the domain is let expire. So I would prefer that the
domain is renewed or redeemed, set to auto-renew and then redirected to whatever convention
we agree upon.

eurid.eu is currently broken, in that their whois service is down.  If the domain has expired,
we will now have to wait until it is released into the public domain for purchase again. I
am not sure off hand what the timescales for these are, if it is anything like .uk registrar
it is in suspension for 30 days, then locked for 30 more before being released for general
sale again.

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Cheers,