From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon NA 2014 ??
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:24:53 GMT
On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, J.Lance Wilkinson wrote:
> 	It's now been 7 months since the suggestion that in 2-3 months
> 	the questions with regard to ApacheCon NA 2014 would be answered.
>
> 	I've yet to see those answers, so I'll ask again:
>
> 	Any determination of IF/WHEN/WHERE and [within some reasonable
> 	ballpark] HOW MUCH for ApacheCon NA 2014?

TL;DR - no news, and no longer my responsibility....

Longer Answer - After ApacheCon NA 2013 in Portland, I proposed to the
board some changes to the Conference Planning committee/project/role, to
better match what I thought was needed after those two ApacheCons and
discussions in/around them. The board agreed with some of them, had
reservations with others, and instead opted in the May board meeting[1] to
"Dissolve the office of Vice President, Conference Planning" (and
associated committee).

Unfortunately, the change wasn't as well managed as perhaps it could have
been. Not all of the committees/posts taking on the former duties were
quite ready, websites were slow to be updated, processes and policies took
time to be changed for the new setup, communities felt somewhat
unsupported, and external parties sometimes felt ignored. The negotiations
with the producer for ACNA13/ACEU12 about new events simillarly stalled in
the changeover.

The good news is that things now seem to be sorting themselves out.
Communities are starting to do events again, some volunteer energy is
returning, policies are being updated, and external parties seem less
frustrated. On the ApacheCon front, those now tasked with handling the
negotiations and interactions with an external producer have been making
progress. There's nothing public on that yet, but based on what I've seen
in private, I believe an initial announcement is due in the 6-8 week
timeframe. Nothing public yet though on the timescale after that.

I know that some people have given up waiting, which is a shame, but sadly
understandable. For others, there is a sign of light up ahead, but I'll
have to leave it to those now responsible to reply, if they wish.

Nick

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2013/board_minutes_2013_05_15.txt