From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon NA 2013 Slides
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 19:34:24 GMT
On 3/4/2013 2:22 PM, J.Lance Wilkinson wrote:
> Nick Burch wrote:
>> Currently, all ASF Members, and all members of ConCom are able to add
>> files in. Others can be added in too, but likely we'll take that sort
>> of volunteering as a sign that we should add you to ConCom ;-)
>
>      At the risk of being considered someone who's volunteering, can
>      you define ConCom for us non- ASF members (since a google search on
> the
>      acronym yields lots of things that don't sound remotely like ASF or
>      ApacheCon or SVN) ;-P

Heh. We just barely have time to define it before Nick re-defines it...

Concom == Conferences Committee = the PMC (Project Management
Committee)(former!) that was responsible for organizing ApacheCon and
other kinds of events on behalf of the ASF.  It's also shorthand for
"concom@", which means concom@apache.org, a privately archived mailing
list where conference things are decided.  Except soon, we may be
changing all the mailing lists to simplify them...

Note that the board (i.e. the board of directors of the ASF) dissolved
the Concom PMC somewhat recently, so Nick soldiers on as VP, Conferences
for the ASF.

Information about Concom and events is still a little scattered, but
this is the best place to start:

   http://events.apache.org/

And occasionally useful information is on:
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/conferences.html
   http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/FrontPage

The officer position of VP, Conferences was first created in 1999, right
when the ASF was founded:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/1999/board_minutes_1999_04_13.txt

- Shane