From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject "Future of ApacheCon" discussion at ACNA
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:12:28 GMT
Hi All

As most of you will hopefully know, we have a desire to host another ACEU,
but know it can't be organised the same way, and ACNA is being run by an
external producer in a different way to past ApacheCons.

I would like to propose that towards the end of ACNA, as many of us as
possible get together (with note taking / recording / google hangouts etc
for those not in Portland) to decide what we want to do about ApacheCon
post-Portland. Topics will include, but not be limited to:
* How does the new style producer arrangement work, and what should be
   changed going onwards?
* Can we square the circle of user + developer + committer/contributor
   needs with one ApacheCon event, or do we need to split (and if so
   into what?)
* Assuming we do want to run more producer led ACNAs and ACEUs, what do
   we need to alter (if anything) from the RFP, what timescales etc should
   we do for selecting a producer for both? (Note that producers ideally
   want 12-18 months run-up)

Everyone is welcome to attend, including past/present/future producers.
However, if we make amazing progress and get into nitty-gritty details, we
might need to make the last bit of the session concom only. Hopefully the
outcome of this + subsequent on-list discussions will quite quickly be a
plan for ApacheCons for the next few years!

Pencil it in your diaries, and we'll try to announce a date + venue a
little closer to ACNA!

Nick