From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: BarCamp - ACNA 2013 - schedule?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2013 02:58:58 GMT
Justin:

Cool. We have the Pavilion Lounge

  http://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/groups/popup_floor_map.jhtml?ctyhocn=PDXPHHH&floorId=PDXPHHH_PLAZA_LEVEL

You can get some idea of seating capacity at

  http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/oregon/hilton-portland-and-executive-tower-PDXPHHH/eevents/roomcharts.html

The Pavilion Lounge is a large space that during the conference proper we will be using as
the dining room at lunchtime. The less-than-perfect aspect is that it only divides into two
separate areas (i.e. we can float a wall between the East and West halves). Better is that
it holds a lot of people, so one might hope there won't be the same overcrowding that occurred
at the ApacheCon hackathon (sorry about that, not much to do with me).

Would you like me to add a free one-day barcamp ticket to the registration form, and noise
it about that you would like people to sign up. [Similarly for the hackathon if you know anything
about it). We need to be nippy about getting publicity into the PDX (Portland) open source
world if you really want to engage them. I sent a short notice out about a week ago and we
plan to follow it up shortly with a message they can (and, I hope, will) send out to their
members. If you have something you'd like us to include BarCamp and hackathon details then
please let me have them (with a copy to Ashley) before too long.

I've made a start on publicity with http://acna13.crowdvine.com/talks/29144. I am copying
Nick, because he is the barcamp emperor, and Steven Hathaway because I am hoping he might
want to be involved with maintaining the CrowdVine site. He has made many good suggestions
about improving community presence on CrowdVine, and I figure he's be happy to be involved
somehow. That page was my first response to his latest salvo, but we need community input
for it to be authentic. It could be fleshed out, but I think the wiki is the place to maintain
the narrative, so perhaps we should just link to that.

Please treat this as the start of a dialog. I'm looking forward to meeting you again in Portland,
along with many of the other friends I made at ApacheCon Europe!

regards
 Steve

On Jan 21, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi Steve (Holden),
>
> I'm helping organise the BarCamp at ACNA 2013 can you give me any info on the facilities,
such as rooms, room size etc etc we have access to. Once I have that info we can start planning,
put more info up on the web site(s) and do more promotion.

> Thanks,
> Justin

Steve Holden steve@holdenweb.com +1 571 484 6266              @holdenweb

Next event:    ApacheCon NA 2013: Feb 26-28     http://na.apachecon.com/
Community events: Barcamp Feb 24  Hackathon Feb 25   Development Mar 1/2