From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon NA 2013 - Question from John Rose
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:01:00 GMT
John:

[tl;dr: ask not what open source can do for you, but what you can do for open source.]

Thank you for your email. I hope that the following explanation will bring you up to speed,
and explain what is actually happening.

It is conventional for producers to wait at least until the Call for Submissions is closed
before determining the content of a conference. As we (The Open Bastion) are producing ApacheCon
NA for the first time in 2013 I may be unaware of some convention that requires us to state
in advance what will be discussed before all potential speakers have decided which of the
many emerging topics of interest they would like to inform the community about. I am therefore
unsure why, at this stage, considering the appearance on the conference's home page (http://na.apachecon.com/)
under "Important Dates:" of the line """November 11, 2012: Submissions close; talk & tutorial
selection begins""" you would expect us to be able to tell you the exact, or even the outline,
of the content to be expected .

Fortunately I can reassure you that if others (or indeed you yourself) are sufficiently motivated
to submit content relating to your areas of interest of sufficient quality, we will be delighted
to consider including it (as a new producer we are looking to the community to guide us in
terms of appropriateness of content). I therefore look forward to a spate of submissions about
Apache HTTP (which I take to refer to the venerable NCSA-derived httpd software which began
the whole ASF enterprise). I sincerely believe that Apache httpd is a foundational component
of the open source ecosphere, and cannot imagine that it will not be included in the track.

You ask me to "point you to something." I would therefore point you to the ApacheCon EU conference,
where I and my colleagues are busily trying to engage the whole Apache community, determine
their needs, and ensure that ApacheCon NA attracts as wide a cross-section of that community
as possible to the benefit of both the delegates and the wider community who will partake
of the content through Internet-mediated channels. I look forward to hearing that this reply
has reassured you, and that you feel comfortable waiting until at least December 31 (when
Early Bird registration closes) to make your decision about whether to attend. There really
is no reason, other than personal commitments, to decide at this stage.

I hope this response helps you to decide that it might be worth coming after all.

regards
 Steve

[1]: https://plus.google.com/+TimOReilly/posts/bhKxn9NbJz1

On Nov 5, 2012, at 8:32 PM, John Rose wrote:

> John Rose (jbrose@utk.edu) has a question for you about your event ApacheCon NA 2013.

> I have looked at the Apachecon site to determine if I was interested in going. But I
do not see any tutorials listed, etc. If there is not going to be an Apache HTTP section focus,
I will not attend. However, I cannot see anything on the web site that indicates what will
comprise the conference. Can you point me to something? Thanks John

Next: Helping with ApacheCon EU (community edition) http://apachecon.eu/