From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Teleconferencing options for speakers who cannot attend
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:32:36 GMT

On 12-10-23, at 03:59 , Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Honestly (and sorry to say), if I attend a conference and pay the full
> price, I would be more than disappointed if the presenter is not in
> the same room as me. I can watch youtube videos without wasting my
> money. I am not the conference expert, but I doubt there are (many)
> other conferences using remote presentations.
>
> Cheers
> Christian

We are not or at any rate I am not discussing "youtube videos". We are or I am discussing
videoconferencing. One is static, the other is not; one provides for direct query and interaction,
the other does not.

I dislike rhetorical posturing. I do not engage in it.

Louis

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Steve Holden <steve@holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> Andrea:
>>
>> Apparently we don't have any guarantees on quality of service, so we are suggesting
that speakers who wish to try this route should prepare a video for use if the remote presentation
doesn't work out.

>> I presume that no special room set-up will be needed for these talks except audio
connection to the computer that's used to display the call?

>> regards
>> Steve
>>
>> On Oct 23, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> As discussed on the ooo-dev list http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/
we have several speakers from China (all in the OpenOffice track, it seems) who are facing
delays in getting a visa to Germany for ApacheCon.

>>> A suggestion from Louis Suárez-Potts is to allow teleconferencing: speakers
who cannot be physically in Germany would still be able to give their presentation as an online
seminar.