From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Teleconferencing options for speakers who cannot attend
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:48:22 GMT
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-23, at 03:59 , Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Honestly (and sorry to say), if I attend a conference and pay the full
>> price, I would be more than disappointed if the presenter is not in
>> the same room as me. I can watch youtube videos without wasting my
>> money. I am not the conference expert, but I doubt there are (many)
>> other conferences using remote presentations.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Christian
>>
> We are not or at any rate I am not discussing "youtube videos". We are or I am discussing
videoconferencing. One is static, the other is not; one provides for direct query and interaction,
the other does not.

> I dislike rhetorical posturing. I do not engage in it.

Sorry if you found this is rhetorical. I don't think so. Actually the
quality of video conferencing for me is just a little better than
youtube.

Despite the problems which might occur with techniques, it is not the
same to have somebody in the same room as on the monitor. If I want to
attent a web conference, I would do. There are many possibilities to
organize something like that, including Google Hangouts. This usually
does only have less or no cost.

I have attended some trainings which were online with only 10 people
and it was always pretty horrible to communicate with the trainer. How
should asking questions work in the conference? Does somebody who has
a question need to go to a phone line to ask it? Sorry, but I actually
expect the video conferencing idea to become something like a youtube
video.

A regular ticket top the ApacheCon costs € 600.00. For that I expect
speakers to be in the same room. If I liked the talk I want to speak
with them afterwards. I want to share a beer with them. A conference
is also around community interaction and networking. I simply expect
that when I pay so much money. This all is not possible with a phone
and a camera.

I leave it up to the more experienced planners here, but I do not
support this approach as I cannot imagine any good out of this. As sad
as it is, but if the speakers are not able to come to Germany I
consider it better to change talks.

Cheers
Christian

> Louis
>
>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Steve Holden <steve@holdenweb.com> wrote:
>>> Andrea:
>>>
>>> Apparently we don't have any guarantees on quality of service, so we are suggesting
that speakers who wish to try this route should prepare a video for use if the remote presentation
doesn't work out.

>>> I presume that no special room set-up will be needed for these talks except audio
connection to the computer that's used to display the call?

>>> regards
>>> Steve

we have several speakers from China (all in the OpenOffice track, it seems) who are facing
delays in getting a visa to Germany for ApacheCon.

who cannot be physically in Germany would still be able to give their presentation as an online
seminar.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de