From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon N/A tracks - Messaging or Enterprise Integration track ?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:28:07 GMT
Sagara:

Could name some other projects that you think would be suitable for inclusion in the "messaging"
track?

regards
 Steve

On Oct 15, 2012, at 11:03 PM, Sagara Gunathunga wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Steve Holden <steve@holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 14, 2012, at 1:12 AM, Sagara Gunathunga wrote:
>>
>>> There was a concern raised by some people including myself during the
>>> EU CFP time to have a Messaging or Enterprise Integration track
>>> instead of allocating a track completely to a single messing project.
>>> At that time we were too late to raise those issues and also had been
>>> informed that the track chairs are always ready to accept "related"
>>> talks if they looks good but looking at EU schedule I can see one
>>> messing project got number of slots and it's hard to see any other
>>> talks from messaging related projects on same track.
>>>
>>> Now we are in CFP for N/A event and still I can't see  Messaging or
>>> Enterprise Integration track instead what I can see is again possible
>>> messaging track is allocated for a specific messaging project in same
>>> as EU event. In case If we have enough space I'm very positive to have
>>> more tracks like "General Messaging" and another track for a specific
>>> messaging project but If we don't have enough space why can't we make
>>> a general messaging track so that number of messaging related projects
>>> can submit their talks and cover more scope/community ?
>>>
>> Thanks. In the case of North America, this is probably mostly due to our relative
ignorance of the Apache "ecosphere". So I am very glad you have raised the issue. If you can
suggest changes to the CfP to make it more inclusive of a wider range we would be grateful
for your help. We want to give all projects the opportunity to showcase their work.

> Thanks for your kind response, I'm happy to help out in area of my
> expertise. As I mentioned in my previous mail this is my suggestion.
>
> If we have enough space and enough people to handle more tracks please
> add a new track called "Messaging", there are considerable number of
> projects available under this category. In case if we don't have
> enough space or people better to rename "Camel in Action" as a
> "Messaging" track so that other messaging related projects also can
> submit their talks under this track instead of limiting to a specific
> project.
>
> Thanks !
>

>>> Taking a different example I always think "Big data" is the ideal name
>>> for a track instead calling it using a specific big data project name.
>>> As I involved organizing number of Apache events in Asia from 2009 I
>>> don't have any concern about impartiality of organizers, also I can
>>> understand the difficulty with EU event with time but clearly in NA
>>> event we have enough time to make changes so that event/tracks will
>>> cover wide range of projects and get wider community attraction.
>>> Finally I expect N/A organizers will consider my comments in a
>>> positive manner.
>>>
>> We certainly do regard such input as positive, and stand ready to hear your (and
everybody else's) suggestions for improving the CfP and making the conference more welcoming
to a broader section of the Apache community.