From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon N/A tracks - Messaging or Enterprise Integration track ?
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 08:58:27 GMT
On Oct 14, 2012, at 1:12 AM, Sagara Gunathunga wrote:

> There was a concern raised by some people including myself during the
> EU CFP time to have a Messaging or Enterprise Integration track
> instead of allocating a track completely to a single messing project.
> At that time we were too late to raise those issues and also had been
> informed that the track chairs are always ready to accept "related"
> talks if they looks good but looking at EU schedule I can see one
> messing project got number of slots and it's hard to see any other
> talks from messaging related projects on same track.
>
> Now we are in CFP for N/A event and still I can't see  Messaging or
> Enterprise Integration track instead what I can see is again possible
> messaging track is allocated for a specific messaging project in same
> as EU event. In case If we have enough space I'm very positive to have
> more tracks like "General Messaging" and another track for a specific
> messaging project but If we don't have enough space why can't we make
> a general messaging track so that number of messaging related projects
> can submit their talks and cover more scope/community ?

Thanks. In the case of North America, this is probably mostly due to our relative ignorance
of the Apache "ecosphere". So I am very glad you have raised the issue. If you can suggest
changes to the CfP to make it more inclusive of a wider range we would be grateful for your
help. We want to give all projects the opportunity to showcase their work.

> Taking a different example I always think "Big data" is the ideal name
> for a track instead calling it using a specific big data project name.
> As I involved organizing number of Apache events in Asia from 2009 I
> don't have any concern about impartiality of organizers, also I can
> understand the difficulty with EU event with time but clearly in NA
> event we have enough time to make changes so that event/tracks will
> cover wide range of projects and get wider community attraction.
> Finally I expect N/A organizers will consider my comments in a
> positive manner.

We certainly do regard such input as positive, and stand ready to hear your (and everybody
else's) suggestions for improving the CfP and making the conference more welcoming to a broader
section of the Apache community.

> Thanks !

And thank *you*.

regards